There are books where I finish the last page and immediately know how I feel about them. Metastable wasn't one of those books.
Jern Tonkoi's two-book story about Carter Brent and Tan Naiya left me with a rather more complicated reaction. I enjoyed it. I found the characters fascinating, the writing quietly intense, and the relationship impossible to look away from. At the same time, I spent a good part of both books wondering whether I actually understood what kept these two men together—and, more importantly, whether I wanted them to stay together.
That tension ended up being one of the most interesting things about the duology.
I have read and enjoyed Tonkoi's work before, and one of the things I particularly appreciate about this author is the willingness to write deeply complicated characters. Metastable certainly doesn't disappoint on that front. Carter and Tan are not easy characters. Neither of them is particularly designed to be immediately lovable, and neither comes with a convenient list of qualities that tells the reader why they belong together.
Instead, we have to discover them.
And that is perhaps the best way to describe Metastable: it is a story that is much more felt than told.
An unstable beginning
Book One introduces Carter and Tan at a point where their relationship is already carrying years of history. They have known each other since boarding school, and there is an intimacy between them that predates their ability to understand what that intimacy actually means.
They are also almost complete opposites in the way they approach their sexuality.
Tan is open, confident, boisterous. Carter is controlled, restrained, and deeply uncomfortable with the parts of himself that refuse to behave according to the rules he has established. His problem isn't simply that he is attracted to men. It is that his own body, desires, and reactions keep demonstrating that he cannot control everything.
And control is incredibly important to Carter.
The more I read, the more it seemed that his need to keep everything contained extended far beyond his sexuality. Desire becomes something to manage. Relationships become systems that need to remain stable. Even vulnerability feels like something that has to be approached according to rules.
Tan, meanwhile, seems much more comfortable with desire, but that doesn't mean he necessarily understands what to do with it emotionally.
And so the relationship between them becomes this constant push and pull. They want things from each other that neither is really prepared to ask for. They retreat, they approach, they misunderstand, and then somehow find themselves back in the same orbit.
It is very much a cat-and-mouse game, but one where neither character is entirely sure what winning would actually look like.
The problem with wanting someone
This was also where I found myself struggling with the romance.
I understood why Carter and Tan were drawn to one another. I understood the history, the attraction, the familiarity, and that almost invisible thread that seemed to keep them connected even when they were apart.
What I didn't always feel was love.
At times, their relationship seemed driven more by fixation, fear, or an unwillingness to imagine life without the other person than by something I would instinctively recognize as romantic affection. And that's a difficult thing to reconcile when reading a romance. I could understand their bond intellectually without necessarily rooting for it emotionally.
But I don't think that means the relationship is poorly written.
If anything, I think it is part of what the books are trying to explore.
What happens when wanting someone becomes entangled with needing them? When familiarity feels safer than change? When two people who have spent years defining themselves in relation to one another finally have to figure out who they are independently?
The duology doesn't offer easy answers to those questions.
Growing up in Book Two
If Book One is about establishing the unstable system, Book Two is about finding out whether it can actually hold.
And this is where Carter's character development became particularly interesting to me.
There is a lot of growing up in this book. Carter has to confront the shame he has carried for years and, more importantly, begin to understand himself outside of the mechanisms he has built to keep that shame under control.
Some of this wasn't easy to read. The book is willing to go into uncomfortable places and let its characters sit there rather than immediately smoothing everything over.
That made the second book feel, in some ways, more emotionally substantial to me than the first.
I still didn't always like these characters. I still didn't always understand their choices. But I felt that I understood them better.
And perhaps that is the difference.
The moment I finally felt the choice
The emotional high point of the duology, for me, comes just before the final chapter.
After a year of no contact, Carter flies to Bangkok, finds Tan, and asks him to take him back.
There is something fundamentally different about this moment compared with the endless circling that came before it. Carter isn't trying to control the situation. He isn't trying to find the correct parameters for their relationship. He is simply vulnerable.
He wants Tan.
And, finally, he says so.
That scene gave me something I had been missing throughout much of the duology: the feeling of one person consciously choosing the other.
Which is probably why the final chapter felt almost anticlimactic to me.
Not because I disliked where the story ultimately leaves them, but because the emotional climax had already happened.
The final chapter brings us back to London, where their relationship feels more settled but also more open and unconventional. There is a third person in their dynamic, and instead of presenting a traditional, neatly packaged HEA, the story leaves them with something that feels more like an equilibrium they are still learning to maintain.
It isn't necessarily the grand romantic ending I would have chosen for them.
But perhaps it is a more honest one.
Finding their own equilibrium
Ultimately, I think that is what stayed with me most about Metastable.
Carter and Tan don't suddenly become easy people. They don't magically resolve all of their issues because they've fallen in love. They are still complicated, still flawed, and still capable of making questionable choices.
But they learn to make space for each other without necessarily making themselves smaller in the process.
And perhaps that is the point of the title.
A metastable system is not truly stable. It is capable of remaining in a state of equilibrium, but that equilibrium can be disrupted. It is stable enough to exist, but not necessarily stable enough to remain unchanged.
That feels like Carter and Tan.
Their relationship isn't neat. It isn't conventional. It isn't always easy to understand from the outside.
But it works for them.
And after spending two books watching them struggle to figure out what they actually want, there is something oddly satisfying about seeing them arrive at a place where they don't necessarily have everything figured out—they've simply decided to keep figuring it out together.
That isn't quite the kind of HEA I usually look for.
But maybe it is exactly the kind these two needed.
No comments:
Post a Comment